There are a lot of reasons to be excited for friday, besides the fact that for the most of us the weekend starts here, on a friday many albums got released. So, for a music lover like me, it's a day full of listening to new albums and picking up some records I pre-ordered at my favorite recordstore. (no other than Popeye in Hengelo, here in Berlin I am still looking for one I can call my favorite) On Fridays I will update this Spotify playlist with music which, I think, is worth listening to.
Today, I am still in the Netherlands, which means I picked up records at Popeye and I am looking back at an amazing weekend in Werchter. I will tell you about music highlights and some random facts about my weekend at the festival. This all supported with photos and a playlist I made, this playlist represents my Rock Werchter weekend.
SOME RANDOM FACTS
- We, 14 friends and me, have spot at the festival terrain where we put our bag and always come back to.
- Every year, this spot has the same location.
- Rock Werchter has three stages, two of them are a tent.
- This year, there was the Slope. This is a kind of big grassy stand, on which you had an amazing view over the festival terrain. You could hang out under is and take some time to chill.
- C7 is since the beginning our favorite camping, located at KFC Werchter.
- When walking from camping to festival, there is a really nice 'Kriek' spot.
- Our 'Kriek' spot had lovely, too sweet, candy noses, with the tast of Kriek.
- In Werchter they don't have very strong Weeping Willow trees.
- Our egg specialist, Wouter, is still going very strong, accompanied with a specific perfume.
- Rock Werchter has 32 km Heras-fence
- That Heras sign on the fence, is stronger attached to the fence than before.
- Bonomel is the drink that keeps our group going.
- Nothing But Thieves and Foo Fighters made me scream the loudest.
- Kings of Leon and Passenger made me cry.
- Banana and peanut butter is always a good combination.
- For some, hamburgers and mornings, also is a good combination.
- You can find more photos, when scrolling down.
Day 1 - Imagine Dragons & Kings of Leon
After arriving at the festival terrain we were welcomed by the Propets of Rage. A show full of classics from Cypress Hill, Rage Against the Machine and Public Enemy. A really good start, followed by a exploding and friendly show of the Imagine Dragons. I fell in love with their new album and the charming singer. For the Kings of Leon I wanted a closer look and found a great spot in the front area. I loved to hear some of my favorite songs from their new album WALLS. Because those songs gave me help last year, they now made me cry. A show which I fully enjoyed.
Day 2 - White Lies, Royal Blood & Oscar and the Wolf
Sunnier than expected we arrived at our spot, where we drank a beer and enjoyed White Lies. Before they ended the show, I was already walking to the front area at the MainStage. The two guys from Royal Blood were also on their way to hit the stage. Man, what a show! They had a great connection with the audience and blew everybody away, only playing on the bass guitar and drums. Loved to hear their new album in real life. After that and some chilling with James Blake, it was time for the lovely Oscar and the Wolf. The tent was already packed, which meant we found a place to dance in front of a screen. On this screen you could watch everything happening inside both tents. Oscar and the Wolf was a really energizing show which made me dance and dream the night away. We made some more dance moves with Charlotte de Witte.
Day 3 - Sohn, Kodaline & Passenger
My planning came totally together with the rainy weather of this Saturday. The first three performances I wanted to watch were in a tent. Sohn was the first one. Psychedelic, electronical music accompanied with his beautiful voice were the perfect ingredients for this wonderful show. After that show I found the girls of our group and accompanied them at Kodaline. They positively surprised me with their performance. Still the tent felt really great, especially with the knowledge that Passenger would also be there in a couple minutes. The man who made me cry a couple years ago, again made me cry. His song gave me help and are very understanding. At the beginning of his show he told about not giving up and be patient about the future. Followed by the song I like the most, 27, was this the perfect moment to enjoy and let some tears flow. You can imagine that it took some time before I was ready for System of a Down and Linkin Park.
Day 4 - Nothing But Thieves, Rag'N'Bone Man & Foo Fighters
But where did I lost my voice? Today. For Nothing but Thieves I wanted a spot at the front area, this time some of my friends went with me to look at those guys closely. What a hell of a show was that! With the highlight at my ultimate highlight at the end. The song, Amsterdam, made me explode and needed the all the energy I had in me at that moment. After that wonderful show, I had some hours to reload myself before the Foo Fighter would start. I was looking forward to that show for a really long time and it was better that I could ever imagine. We were all singing, screaming, like never before. What an ending of this amazing weekend!
- Have you ever been to Rock Werchter? What was your highlight?